Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Drugs and Man's Search For Answers

I have a translational research position this summer and I take the bus to the hospital. The ride is usually rather uneventful; I sit in my hard, scantly-padded seat and single-handedly increase diversity from 0% to some percentage greater than zero. I don't know the exact figure.

But this week was different.

I don't know how often the average person wonders about how intimidating they are to others, but I think about it fairly often. I think the reason I've never settled on an answer is because there are too many variables to consider. Through my extensive research on the topic however, I've narrowed it down to five questions you can ask yourself:

1. Are children afraid of me?
2. Do women approaching on the sidewalk cross the street when they see me?
3. Do dogs bark at me?
4. Do dolphins batter my underbelly with their snouts while I'm swimming?
5. Are people uncomfortable selling drugs in front of me?

The first four questions are easily answered by most social beings who've swam in the ocean at least a handful of times. The last, however, is harder for many people. Until recently, I was one of those people that only had answers to the first four questions. But as of today, I'm proud to say that I can answer them all.

Really this is just a long-winded attempt to elaborate on my recent experience being seated between two gentleman involved in a drug deal. It was more odd and unexpected than anything else, and there isn't much more to say on the matter. I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails